Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Language Investigation 2

"I can't stand the power I scheme. It doesn't make any sense when the hogs in the middle are undersized, and your primary back can run a 4.4. What we need to do is utilize a West Coast scheme, not be afraid to play off the option, and with our quick guards log those DEs until they're flat on their backs." This little paragraph might be heard among coaches of football. I have played the sport since 6th grade and have coached for 3 years. Terminology within the sport is essential in communicating, but even that may not be enough. Depending on the offensive/defensive schemes, and the coaching staff, even terminology may vary. In one scheme, a backside guard pull may be called a 'log,' but in another it may be called a 'pull.' The runningbck position might be called anything from a halfback, slotback, Z-back, B-back, or powerback. The fullback may be called the 2-back, J-back, or may not even be in the scheme. The basic concepts behind each position and philosophy are the same, but the way coaches and players communicate about them will vary from team to team. That's why, say a player who has played in the NFL for 15 years may take some time to adapt to a new scheme. They may know football better than most, but the terminology is tough to adapt to. For a newcomer to the game, the language used can sometime seem like gibberish, but once acclamated to the way football works, the language can seem fairly simple. So, when a coach calls the play 'Power Right Blue 32 3-4-7 J-Curl,' you just might be able to decipher the play. The best way to start understanding football is to watch the game, and shockingly, listen to the announcers analyze the game and plays. After doing so, phrases like a naked bootleg may not sound so strange.

3 comments:

SaraP said...

I like to think that I know something about football, but the terminology has always flabbergasted me. It really does make me feel like an "outsider" to the language. I have no idea what a "Power Blue 32 3-4-7 J Curl" means. It does sound like gibberish. Like you said though, it does eventually come clear. If you are exposed to a certain language long enough, you begin to pick up the nuances of when to use it. I can relate to the new player coming in to football. We both don't understand what all of the terminology means.

ashmv said...

I also agree that there is a language to sports, and I also wrote about that is my post ironicly enough. Its not just sports in general but every sport has its own language. As for me I get basketball entirly, but football not so much. I hoped to take some wisdom from your post, but alas, I'm still clueless. I guess I will be one of those people who just wont get it. I really enjoyed you post over all and I think that you had some very good insight on the language of football. Keep up the good work!

Eric A said...

I really enjoyed your post because I am a huge football fan and I found it interesting that I knew most of the terms and jargon you used but there were still some that I hadn't heard or that I have heard but didn't know exactly what it was. I have been watching football for the longest time but I have never played it myself which is probably why, but its amazing how much of a difference there is between knowing what's going on and actually playing it. Being an insider in the community opens up an entirely new vocabulary.